- 1 slice whole wheat bread (optional)
- ½c onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1½c milk
- ½ cup broth
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¼c cheddar cheese
- 4c chopped fresh spinach
- 2c uncooked whole wheat macaroni
- 1½c grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼c peas
- salt, pepper & Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place tomatoes in a 13×9″ baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook macaroni al dente, set aside.
- Place bread in food processor with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Grind into crumbs. (optional)
- Saute onions and garlic with a small amount of chicken broth, salt and pepper for a few minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Slowly add flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and broth, whisk constantly until blended.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until melted.
- Add spinach, tomatoes and macaroni, stir until blended. Sprinkle in peas and stir.
- Spoon mixture back into baking dish re-coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Broil for a few minutes until breadcrumbs are golden.
Feel free to add more (or different) vegetables as desired. I tend to go heavy on the peas and onions! Tastes delicious as a post-run lunch the next day with some hot sauce J